2 minutes reading time (390 words)

Best ski insurance to keep you on the piste

best ski insurancePlanning a trip to the slopes at half-term? Better make sure you’re fully insured for all the activities you’re planning because it’s easy to miss the small print on what exactly is covered by your travel insurance and, more importantly, what isn’t.

Many money-saving skinted and minted mums will have bought a family travel policy or an annual policy or both. This is a much cheaper way to cover holidays and is an SMM recommendation, But, having done so, it’s easy to overlook exclusions. That could be travelling to the US or Canada, for example, when you’ve only bought a European policy, or participating in dangerous sports.

In fact, most standard travel insurance excludes dangerous sports. These generally include skiing and snowboarding, as well as more obviously perilous pursuits such as bungee-jumping and scuba-diving. To get around it, you’ll either have to buy special winter sports insurance or phone your current insurer and ask for an upgrade.

A quick way to find ski or snowboarding insurance is via a comparison website such as GoCompare or Confused. I actually had a look on Compare The Market* and found the cheapest policy for a family of four going to France for the half-term week was just £23.96. With all the risks of broken legs and the zillion things which could go wrong on the slopes, it has to be worth it. Of course, don’t be tempted to just bag the most economical. Check carefully that the whole cost of your holiday is covered, as well as the entire replacement cost of your baggage (and equipment if you’re taking your own) as skis are expensive and tempting to thieves.

It’s also worth dusting off or updating your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). It’s free so don’t visit rogue websites that extract any payment. This allows you to get free or low-cost emergency treatment in a state-run hospital abroad. However, it doesn’t stretch as far as mountain rescue or repatriation home so you must take travel insurance too.

You can use the EHIC card until Brexit on 29 March. After then, the scheme may finish – no-one yet knows. On that subject, if you’re holidaying after that date, it’s probably worth talking to your insurer about cancellations and any other mishaps due to Brexit.

See our SMM guide to travel insurance for more help.

What are the best savings accounts?
How to sell your home faster

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Monday, 22 April 2019